15 Simple (and Effective) Tips & Tricks to Drive Traffic to Your Website
Every business leader we know wants more website traffic. The biggest question is, how? Unfortunately, there’s no “easy button” that will automatically double your website traffic overnight. In this post, we’ll share some of the simplest and most effective tactics any business can use to drive more traffic to your website. Most are free and just take a bit of intentional time, energy, and effort. A few might require an advertising budget, but a little can go a long way when it comes to spending advertising dollars online.
Whether you use a few of the tips listed below or invest in all the ideas, the most important advice we can give is this: be intentional with every tactic you deploy. Don’t just post on social media for the sake of posting and hope it drives more traffic to your website. Measure what’s working and what’s not. While you shouldn’t expect these tactics to work immediately, it’s important to develop the discipline of monitoring Google Analytics to evaluate your traffic, identify new opportunities to generate traffic, and maximize your website’s potential to reach potential customers.
Below are fifteen of our favorite tips and tricks to drive traffic to your website—broken down by five key categories: the content you create on your website, the way you promote that content, the way you optimize your content for search, how to leverage advertising, and how to leverage other websites to drive traffic back to your website.
Content Promotion Tips & Tricks to Drive Traffic to Your Website
One of the easiest ways to drive traffic to your website is to promote it adequately through other channels. Here are three ways to do that more effectively:
- Maximize your social media promotion. Don’t feel like you need to be active on every social media channel. Instead, consider where your target audience spends most of their time and then invest in maximizing your presence on those specific channels.
- Stand out through email marketing. Sending out regular newsletters and promoting offers through email is a great way to drive traffic to your website. But, in order to stand out in a crowded inbox, you need to make sure your emails are good enough that people want to read them.
- Engage with others online. Being actively involved in online groups and on websites that are relevant to your business and community is another way to obtain more traffic. Whether you comment in a social media post or answer a question in a forum like Quora, the more you engage with your community, the more exposure and profile visits you get.
SEO Tips & Tricks to Drive Traffic to Your Website
Business that’s being driven by search to your website is often one of the most valuable sources of website traffic. In the next section, we’ll go into more detail on the most substantial (and reliable) ways of increasing website traffic for free by optimizing your SEO efforts.
- Make sure you’ve set up your Google My Business page. Did you know that an optimized Google My Business listing gets seven times more visits than an incomplete one? That’s why setting up your GMB page is an easy and efficient way to increase website traffic.
- Optimize Your On-Page SEO. When it comes to optimizing your small business website for SEO, this is an important factor. On-page SEO tactics take some time, but if you’re intentional about it, they can make sure the right search traffic is driving high quality visitors to your website.
- Target long-tail keywords that are relevant to your industry. While short-tail keywords are often searched more frequently, it’s more difficult to rank for them on search engines. Targeting long-tail keywords, on the other hand, gives you a better chance of ranking higher for queries specific to your products and services—and higher ranking means more traffic.
Content Optimization Tips & Tricks to Drive Traffic to Your Website
Promoting your website on third-party sites is a common tactic, but did you know there are simple things you can do to optimize the content already on your site to drive more traffic? Here are a few of our favorite tips:
- Update “outdated” content to improve search rankings. SEO is not a set-it-and-forget-it task. One way to optimize your content is to find old posts that can be refreshed in order to improve your rankings for certain industry keywords.
- Look for opportunities to merge content and increase search results. Some posts and landing pages might rank higher on search engines if you combine them. By merging and consolidating both posts into one delicious cocktail of a page, it’s likely to perform way better in the SERPs.
- Repurpose content on other channels. If you’ve spent lots of time and effort creating a piece of content, don’t neglect it right after you hit “publish.” For example, turning a blog post into a Slideshare presentation, Medium article, or YouTube video is a great way to extend the shelf life and reach of your content.
Paid Advertising Tips & Tricks to Drive Traffic to Your Website
Much of today’s digital landscape requires businesses to invest in advertising. Luckily, you don’t need a huge digital advertising budget to make a significant impact. Here are a few cost-effective ways to leverage paid advertising to drive traffic to your website:
- Be hyper-targeted in your social advertising. Social advertising on Facebook and LinkedIn is still relatively cheap today as compared to other digital advertising channels. Many of them also provide sophisticated segmentation tools you can use to target by keywords so that you hit your ideal audience.
- Leverage PPC to bid on competitor keywords. PPC is usually best used for conversion-oriented keywords. These are terms that people might be searching when looking for one of your competitors. By bidding on competitive keywords, you can drive traffic from their website to yours—which is great because it gains you a new audience that’s also ready to convert.
- Recapture visitors through strategic retargeting. If you’re not doing retargeting and you operate a business online, you’re literally leaving money on the table. With all the different display networks available, not to mention Facebook, you can easily target people who have come to your site but not purchased to come back and finish their conversion.
Third-Party Website Tips & Tricks to Drive Traffic to Your Website
While you may not have a ton of traffic directly to your website, there are other websites that do. Tapping into those audiences is an incredibly simple way to attract new visitors. Here are a few tips:
- Spend time listing your website on important directories. Another way to increase traffic to your website is to get listed in free online directories and review sites. For most of these sites, your profile will have a link to your website, so actively updating these listings and getting positive reviews is likely to result in more website traffic.
- Connect with other businesses to build backlinks to your website. A backlink is a link to your website from another website. This could be something as easy as a guest post or a review from an industry influencer that can drive qualified traffic to your website.
- Ask third-party websites if you can guest post. Posting on third-party sites is a great way to reach new audiences and drive new visitors to your website. Many industry publications are more than happy to have guest contributors create content for their site.
Getting more website visitors does not happen overnight. It takes some effort, but we’ve eliminated the hard part for you: knowing what to do in the first place. Contact The SEO Silo today to learn more.