If you’ve conducted a search for a local business or restaurant in the past few months, you’ve likely noticed an important feature for Google searches—Google My Business pages. These short business description boxes make it easier for customers to find information about your business online. Whether they’re looking for your hours of operation, contact information, directions, or more detailed information about your business, Google My Business pages provide everything customers are looking for in one single location across multiple devices.
Why Is Your Google My Business Page Important?
A Google My Business page is the most important online listing for any local business. Whether you’re a restaurant, retailer, local print shop, law firm, or any other business that serves local customers, a Google My Business page is a fundamental element of your SEO strategy.
According to a recent Google study, 50% of consumers who conducted a local search on their smartphone visited a store within a day. However, another study found that 56% of local retailers haven’t claimed their free Google My Business page.
The bottom line is this—your business MUST be listed in Google My Business if you want to be found online in a local search. But, claiming the account is just the start. There are so many ways you can use it.
How to Optimize Your Google My Business Page Information
Once you’ve claimed your Google My Business page, the next step is to optimize all the basic information that Google asks for. Here are a few important areas you’ll want to optimize:
- Basic Business Information—This includes things like your business name, the category of your business, location, business hours, and so forth.
- Business Description—The business description is an open text area that you can use to tell potential customers more about your business. Think about what you’d want your customers to know most about your business. Do not focus on promotions, prices, or sales. Tell people about your business instead.
- Business Attributes—These are the attributes that you can explicitly set for your business. Attributes vary by business category and can include items such as “Female-Owned,” “Full-Service Print Shop,” “Happy Hour,” etc.
- Products, Services, Menu—Depending on your business, you have the opportunity to list the products or services you offer. It may not be practical to include every product or product category that your business carries, however, just focus on the most important products and categories.
Why Good Content Is Important for Your Google My Business Page
It’s critical to optimize the basic information you include on your Google My Business page, but it’s also important to continually post additional content that enhances your SEO efforts.
By regularly posting good content on your Google My Business page, you’re able to…
- Control and share timely information that’s pertinent for your business—Are you hosting a sale or conducting an important event? Let people know that right away on the first page of Google.
- Leverage Google online reviews to interact with potential customers and manage reputation—Unlike Yelp, which discourages business owners to ask their customers for reviews, Google encourages business owners to ethically ask their customers or clients for online reviews.
- Curate photos from your brand and customers to help searchers get a glimpse of your business—Adding photos of your business is a great way to humanize your brand and let your customers get a “behind-the-scenes” look at what your company is all about. And your customers can post photos on your Google My Business listing, too!
Maximize the Power of Local Search with Your Google My Business Page
When you think about the sheer amount of search queries being conducted each day—and recognize that the majority of organic searches come from Google (around 90 percent for worldwide search engine market share)—taking time to maximize your Google My Business page is a no-brainer.
To learn how The SEO Silo can help you maximize your SEO efforts, including your Google My Business page, connect with our team today.